Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This will be a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide.
How do I upgrade my Zoom account? What Zoom learnings have happened this week?
- If you need help upgrading your Zoom account to the paid license, look through the Google Slide Deck at http://bit.ly/aisdzoom.
- Reminder: Chromebooks only have annotation ability when the host of the Zoom meeting shares a whiteboard.
- Students on a Chromebook do NOT see messages sent to the waiting room.
- Paid licenses offer Zoom tech support. New tickets can be created at this link.
How do I connect to the EduDisplay and manage the sound?
- Teacher-issued Windows laptops have received NovoConnect and the extension for Extended Desktop software, as a replacement for Novo Desktop Streamer. Teachers with Macs can update to NovoConnect through the app’s preferences.
- The Training Course for AISD EduDisplays (http://bit.ly/aisdedudisplay) provides instructions for using NovoConnect to stream to the EduDisplay. Macs can additionally use AirPlay to connect to the TV The difference between Desktop Streamer and Connect is shown below:
- Teachers with NovoConnect can adjust streaming audio. You can get to the instructions by opening NovoConnect and then Preferences and Tools > Settings > Then click on the “i” next to the audio adaptor.
- The training course mentioned above has directions for using the EduDisplay as a second monitor for both Windows laptops and Mac laptops.
Want to reduce the number of clicks to our core academic resources?
BLEND course navigation links will be added this weekend for district resources listed below. Teachers can always hide if they do not wish for students to access them in this way.
- HMH Ed.
- HMH Think Central
- Studies Weekly
- Imagine Learning
A student is getting an error message like the one below on a district Chromebook. How do I connect to the Education network?
Make sure that you are using the correct wireless settings when connecting the device to the Education network. (see below)
My registrar made changes in TEAMS/Frontline. When will I see these rostering changes made in BLEND, Seesaw, etc.?
- Rostering changes that happen in TEAMS by about 5:00 PM should be reflected in BLEND the next day within 24 to 48 hours.
As the end of the grading period approaches, what are some timesavers for grading?
- Filtering view of grades in BLEND. https://youtu.be/t_mIRl_o_aA
- Go to BLEND gradebook. Click on a student’s name. Click on “Grades” and it gives you an individual student report. https://youtu.be/t9nJLdIvI3Q
This Teacher Tools extension will help you transfer grades from BLEND to TEAMS quickly.
How can students and caregivers get an overview of assignments and due dates within BLEND?
- Reminder: adding dates or due dates is VERY important if you want something to show up on a students’ calendar/agenda, to do list, or comprehensive list view.
- If you have students and caregivers who are confused about which grades are more formative versus those that are going into the TEAMS gradebook, you may want to consider setting up Assignment Groups within BLEND or checking the box that says “do not count towards final grade” when setting up the assignment. Setting up groups would allow you to create a group for ungraded or feedback-focused assignments with a 0% weight to help make it clear that it will not be counted towards a final grade.
- For students, use the list view on the BLEND Dashboard as an agenda. View this silent screencast or step set to learn more. Students can also use the calendar/agenda as an effective way to manage assignments and events across multiple classes.
- For caregivers, observer view is more limited. Here is a video that explains some of the ways parents can support and view overall activity and grades in their student’s courses. You can also encourage caregivers to use the calendar as an observer or check their student’s grades in individual courses.
How can I submit and “upvote” BLEND (Canvas) request features, such as giving observers in BLEND a list view option on the Dashboard?
In the Canvas Community, you can log in and upvote feature requests. If the feature idea you’re reading is open for voting, and as long as you are logged into the community, you will be able to “upvote” the feature by clicking on the up arrow that appears next to the votes. Upvote list view for Parent accounts in BLEND.
Remember that teachers have access to Canvas Tier 1 Support through:
- BLEND (Canvas) Guides
- Chat with Canvas Support, Call Canvas Support Hotline, BLEND (Canvas) Report a Problem
My gradebook is showing “Select Student Group- Due to the size of your course you must select a student group before launching SpeedGrader.”
In course settings, find the box that says “Launch Speedgrader filtered by group” and make sure that it is NOT checked.
Once you have unchecked that box, click update course details to make sure to save that setting.
How do I create an IXL or Dreambox link for BLEND?
Watch this screencast to learn how to create these links in BLEND.