Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This will be a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide.
The Weekly Lessons Learned Archive contains a list of topics from and links to previous updates.
How do I set a grading policy for late work?
- Missing assignments are considered missing or late after a due date for that assignment has passed.
- If you would like to automatically apply a grade for missing submissions or create a scale for late work based on when it was submitted, go to “Grades” in the left-hand vertical menu of your BLEND course. Then, click gear in the top right. See the image below:
- This “BLEND Tip – Late Work Policy” video will show you the steps for setting up this grading policy in your BLEND gradebook.
Why are student assignments not showing up in Speedgrader, even when it says they have been turned in?
- If you have assignments on your to-do list to grade, but they are not showing up in Speedgrader for that assignment, there is a good chance that you have turned on a filter in your overall BLEND gradebook that is preventing them from being viewed.
How do I filter by grading period in my BLEND gradebook?
- Your assignment settings and due dates impact which grading period assignments go into in your BLEND gradebook. This is a screencast for how to filter specifically by grading period.
What other filters are available in the BLEND gradebook?
- If you would like a more general video on the various filtering methods for the BLEND gradebook, this screencast addresses various filtering methods.
In what ways can I support my students who need to rename themselves in Zoom?
- This Google Slide Deck (bit.ly/aisdzoomequity) addresses best practices for supporting students who are trans and non-binary with their name in Zoom.
What are my options for copying in BLEND
- Want to share directly with a colleague without worrying about inviting them into your course?
Here’s how to send a copy of a Module to another instructor.
- Need a copy in the same course?
Here’s how to duplicate a Module within a BLEND course.
- Want to send a copy of a module to another one of your own courses?
Here’s how to copy a Module to another course.
- If you need to copy multiple modules from one course to another, it may be faster to start a course content import in the destination course to pull content in.
In ALL of these cases, it’s important to remember that importing the same content a second time will overwrite any edits that have happened after the first edit! From the Canvas guides:
“Importing a course more than once may have unintended consequences. If you import content into a new course, edit the content in the new course, and later import the previous content again, the imported content will override the existing content.”
My students have several old courses cluttering their BLEND dashboard. Is there something they can do?
- Students (and instructors) can add and remove courses on their dashboards. This video demonstrates the process of how to manage what classes you see on your dashboard.
My Course navigation changed! What might have happened?
- If you have turned on elementary theming in your course settings, everything in the course navigation will be automatically hidden for students except home, announcements, modules, and grades.
You can view this resource from Canvas if you need a reminder for how to manage your course navigation. Please remember you must keep “People” hidden to remain FERPA compliant.
Is there a way to forward my BLEND inbox emails to my Outlook email?
- Unfortunately, there is not a way to forward your BLEND inbox emails.
If you would like a reminder about how to set your overall email notifications in BLEND, this article shows how to adjust your overall BLEND notification in settings, and this video shows how to turn notifications on and off for a particular course.
Did you know BrainPop has a new feature?
BrainPop is a licensed resource for all grades in Austin ISD, and now it has a new feature- the ability to add a co-teacher! Co-teachers will be able to co-teach and share rostered classes within Brainpop. This Brainpop article includes information about using this new feature.
Will Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours still happen?
Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team for next week will happen on Tuesday-Thursday from 9:00-11:00 AM and 3:00-5:00 PM and on Friday from 3:00-5:00 PM. Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
Weekly Lessons Learned Archive