Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This will be a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide.
The Weekly Lessons Learned Archive contains a list of topics from and links to previous updates.
How do I submit a software approval request? Why do I need to do this with apps/software that are not on the approved list?
You can find approved software by searching “Digital Resource Review” in the AISD Portal. If you find that the software you would like to use is not on the AISD approved list, you can submit a software approval request by clicking on “Digital Resource Review” in the Portal and following the instructions outlined in this article in the SolutionCenter that walks through submitting a software approval request. (You must be logged in with your AISD credentials in order to view the article.) The Digital Resource Review is an on-going process. You may see multiple entries for an app, software package, or service.
Assignments that are not part of this grading cycle are showing up in my BLEND gradebook!
- All undated assignments automatically default to the last grading cycle. Therefore, elementary teachers may begin to notice undated assignments appearing on their last nine weeks.
How do I set and/or change due dates in BLEND, and why is this important?
- Setting due dates on assignments, discussions, and quizzes can help students see when something is due on their calendar and to do list. It also helps a teacher see work in the proper grading period as well as target missing or late work from the gradebook. It’s a win-win!
- If an assignment does not have a due date, it will show up in the gradebook in the final grading period.
- Watch the screencast BLEND Canvas Tip – How and Why to Set Due Dates to learn more about adding due dates to items in BLEND.
If you’d like a more detailed look at due dates and availability, view this Canvas guide: What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates?
What are some considerations or tips for using the EduDisplay with Zoom as I set up learning spaces for my virtual and in-person students?
- Zoom in the Physical Classroom is a helpful document that goes through some considerations you may want to take into account as you return to using the EduDisplay and Zoom in the physical classroom.
- Things to Note:
- Could I still use the DocCam as part of my Zoom, EduDisplay, laptop setup? Yes. Take the USB that is in the red DocCam bag, plug the USB into the DocCam, and plug it into the computer. Change the output camera for Zoom from your laptop to the Lumens Document Camera by going to the little up arrow near the camera icon on Zoom.
- You can plug directly into the EduDisplay or use MiraCast if you prefer to be mobile/untethered to the EduDisplay. On your device, make sure your screen settings are for dual monitors (usually “Extend”) so that you can use your laptop as one screen and your EduDisplay as a second screen.
- NOTE: If a teacher plugs into the EduDisplay, Zoom will use the EduDisplay as an external speaker, which might lead to a feedback situation. Use the “Zoom in the Physical Classroom” document for support.
- Things to Note:
Need some EduDisplay reminders?
Here is a BLEND Course specific to EduDisplays in AISD: http://bit.ly/aisdedudisplay.
How do I select or unselect a default Quiz type in a BLEND course or select a new quiz engine in BLEND?
While on the Quizzes page in your BLEND course, click the three dots at the top right and choose Reset quiz engine choice.
Why are there download symbols (↓) next to links on my BLEND items?
Canvas has been notified of the issue. In the meantime, a short-term fix for removing those download symbols can be found on this tutorial on using HTML to fix the issue.
How do I enter the designer in a New Quiz so that I can edit questions that are already in the New Quiz?
To edit questions within a New Quiz, you can click on the title of the New Quiz at the top from that edit view
OR if you click “Save” from the edit mode view it should also take you to the designer to edit the questions.
Will Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours still happen?
The Technology Design Team will be joining the Austin ISD family in Spring Break. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will return Monday, March 22nd. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Monday-Thursday from 9:00-11:00 AM and 3:00-5:00 PM and on Friday from 3:00-5:00 PM.
Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.