Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned!
Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This is a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide. The Weekly Lessons Learned Archive contains a list of topics from and links to previous updates.
What do I need to do in order for my students to access the Immersive Reader function in BLEND?
- Immersive Reader doesn’t show up for students if Pages is not enabled in Course Navigation settings. The workaround for now is to enable Pages in course nav
- Want to know more about BLEND’s immersive reader function, and how students might use it? Here is a guide to the tool and its features.
- This video demonstrates how to add and remove items from course navigation in BLEND/Canvas.
How can Immersive Reader support my emergent language learners?
What resources are available to support Chromebooks?
- Students and caregivers can find additional support for Chromebooks from the Technology Design Team’s YouTube channel’s Chromebook Playlist.
- The Austin ISD Technology Design Team also provides the BLEND course, Everyone:1 Chromebook Training. Students can self-enroll into the course using http://bit.ly/AISDchromebooks (Austin ISD only)
How can I create a new course in BLEND/Canvas?
If a student is showing up in a BLEND course they are no longer rostered in, how can I conclude them from the course?
- Students can never be fully removed from a course, but they can be concluded, which places their course in “past enrollments” and prevents them from receiving notifications.
- This process shows how to conclude a student in a BLEND course they should no longer be active in.
Depending on my role, how can I create an AISD login QR code for a PK-5th grade student?
- This video demonstrates how a caregiver can create a QR code for their associated students.
- This video demonstrates how a student can generate their own QR code.
What are the different ways that students can submit a BLEND assignment that uses Google docs, and what are some advantages and disadvantages of each?
- This quick reference document shares which ways the Google Assignment LTI works well with Speedgrader or provides better direct feedback from the teacher. Video overviews for each are provided.
How can I create special characters, such as those used in other languages, on my device?
- This website shows how to enable special letters/accents on Windows, Macs, and Chromebooks.
- This video shows how to embed special characters within a Google Doc.
Where can I begin to explore what digital resources are available to me as an AISD instructor?
- Access to many of the instructional applications in the portal and connections to students are based on your locally populated Frontline courses.
- You can see an updated list of assessment, progress and intervention tools by grade level and subject area on this document.
- Austin ISD STEM and Humanities websites (also found in the portal) have great resources about digital tools used in Austin ISD instructional materials. These are also the places where you can find information about changes in tools (such as the Discovery Education service being discontinued this week).
How can I access ST Math if I am a frontline rostered math teacher?
- STMath now shows on the portal dashboard for both students AND teachers.
- This video shows students how to bookmark portal resources, such as ST math.
Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours
The Technology Design Team is hosting virtual office hours to help provide real time instructional technology support in the first weeks of school. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Monday-Friday from 8:00-9:00 AM , 11:00AM-1:00PM and 3:00-4:00 PM. Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
If you have a technical support issue (device repair or setup, access to systems, etc), please create a ServiceNow ticket to have a technician address your concern.