Welcome to the Technology Design Team Weekly Lessons Learned! This is a recurring feature on Friday afternoons where the Technology Design Team will share top of mind resources and learning. Each week, we will post a few key things we hope you may find useful. We look forward to sharing our learning with you. We look forward to sharing our learning with you.
Some of the content may be specific to the realities of Austin ISD though, we hope, much will be useful to viewers worldwide. The Weekly Lessons Learned Archive contains a list of topics from and links to previous updates.
How can students use text-to-speech on their district Chromebooks?
- The Chrome Browser and Read Aloud extension are easily accessible for Austin ISD students.
- This short doc shares how to access the text-to-speech tools.
- This student-facing video can be shared with students.
- Remember: a “right-click”on a Chromebook is a two-finger tap on the touchpad.
How can my students easily submit an Adobe Spark product in BLEND?
- Students may submit their Adobe Spark products to their teachers in BLEND is using the BLEND Assignment’s Online Submission: Website URL type.
- This video is a student-facing video that demonstrates how students can turn in their Adobe Spark work.
Can the Website URL submission be used for Google documents, as well?
- It certainly can!
- The doc, “Examples of Google Submissions In BLEND” has been updated for teachers.
- There are new student-facing videos that teachers can use to help their students use a specific submission type, like the demonstration of the File Upload submission type.
What digital tools are available for academic assessment, progress monitoring, and intervention?
When can we access ST Math?
- Right now! ST Math is now up and running for you and your students! Yes, Virtual School, as well!
- Students should access the ST MATH tile in the portal.
- If students do not see the tile on their portal dashboard, this silent screencast shows how to search and bookmark a tile in the portal.
- Visit the STEM Department website for information on upcoming ST Math webinars.
Why can’t my students see YouTube videos that have been approved?
- If a student is signed into Google with a personal (non-Austin ISD) account, they will get fully restricted YouTube. They will not get videos that have been approved for the Austin ISD.
- Have students log out of the personal account and close any tabs that are accessing the personal account. Then have them log into their Google Drive via the portal.
What is a BLEND To Do list and why are so many assignments showing on student To Do lists and calendar?
- Published assignments, discussions, and quizzes will show up on student To DO lists even if that content is in an unpublished module
- Solution: Unpublish assignments, quizzes, and discussions until you want students to see them.
- This video demonstrates the issue from the teacher and student view.
Tell me more about the BLEND Calendar and To Do Lists! What student resources can I share for using the BLEND calendar and To Do List?
- This Canvas guide explains using the calendar from a student perspective.
- This canvas guide shows what “action items” will be shown to students on their to do list when they are created in your course.
Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours
The Technology Design Team is hosting virtual office hours to help provide real time instructional technology support in the first weeks of school. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Monday-Friday from 8:00-9:00 AM , 11:00AM-1:00PM and 3:00-4:00 PM. Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
If you have a technical support issue (device repair or setup, access to systems, etc), please create a ServiceNow ticket to have a technician address your concern.