Happy New Year and Welcome Back!!
This Weekly Lessons Learned Update is focused on resources to improve your students’ experience in the coming semester.
If my campus registrar makes changes in TEAMS/Frontline, when will I see these roster changes made in BLEND, Seesaw, and other district-rostered systems?
- Roster changes that happen in TEAMS/Frontline by about 4:00 PM should be reflected in BLEND and Seesaw within 24 to 48 hours.
- Other rostered systems should reflect changes within 48 hours.
- If you are experiencing issues with rostering after the initial 48 hours, enter a ServiceNow ticket.
How might I help minimize digital distraction with YouTube for my students?
- On Chromebooks: If a video is embedded on a BLEND page, YouTube.com can be blocked in GoGuardian AND students can watch the embedded video.
For students on iPads, use Jamf Teacher “whitelist” site for students. If YouTube is not on the whitelist, students can view embedded videos in BLEND/the Canvas app, but will be unable to go to YouTube in the Safari browser.
What are some examples of teachers who have effectively used district device management systems (GoGuardian or Jamf Teacher/Apple Classroom) in their AISD classrooms?
- Read about how one Austin ISD teacher is using GoGuardian to increase student engagement.
- Read how a 3rd grade teacher uses GoGuardian to help students troubleshoot and stay on task.
- Watch videos from a Kindergarten teacher on using Apple Classroom
How can I print a QR code for my students? Can parents print them, as well?
Elementary students are able to log into the portal using a secure QR code.
Teachers are able to access and print QR codes for their students.
This video demonstrates how to print a QR code for students as a teacher.
Parents are also able to access and print QR codes for their students.
This video demonstrates generating a secure QR code for your student as a parent.
How do I set and/or change due dates in BLEND, and why is this important?
- Setting due dates on assignments, discussions, and quizzes can help students see when something is due on their calendar and to do list. It also helps a teacher see work in the proper grading period as well as target missing or late work from the gradebook. It’s a win-win!
- If an assignment does not have a due date, it will show up in the gradebook in the final grading period.
- Watch the screencast BLEND Canvas Tip – How and Why to Set Due Dates to learn more about adding due dates to items in BLEND.
- If you’d like a more detailed look at due dates and availability, view this Canvas guide: What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates?
Can I update a new quiz then have it regrade and update the BLEND gradebook?
- When regrade works:
- Currently, quiz regrade is available for Multiple Choice, True/False, and Multiple Answers question types.
- Quiz regrade only applies to students who have already taken the quiz.
- When regrade does not work:
- Adding or removing a question does not trigger the quiz regrade feature.
- Changing the point value for a quiz question does not trigger a quiz regrade.
- The student’s submitted quiz will show the updated point value, but the current grade won’t change in the Gradebook.
- What to do when regrade will not work:
- Moderate the quiz and let the student(s) retake the quiz.
- Manually update the grades in the gradebook to match the regraded quiz score.
- Canvas guide: What options can I use to regrade a quiz in a course?
Can I get some student-facing Chromebook resources to start the semester?
- Organize your tabs
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Screenshots on your Chromebook
- Record a video or take a picture
- How to create a split screen on your Chromebook to view two windows at once
- How to access student email on a Chromebook (6th-12th only)
- “Powerwash” your Chromebook (to fix many problems)
What Changed With Adobe Spark Accounts in December?
Adobe Spark has changed their name to Adobe Creative Cloud Express. Along with the name change, the Spark page has been updated to include new quick-access features, new templates, the photo catalog changing from Pixabay to Adobe Stock Images (providing more child-safe images), and Spark accounts now have access to Photoshop Express and the Rush video editor. Photoshop and Rush require application installation, so they are not available to students on Chromebooks. Adobe Creative Cloud Express is still accessible from the Spark tile in the Portal.
Is there a way to hide the ‘filmstrip’ in Google Presentation?
At the end of December, Google rolled out a new feature called “Show Filmstrip” which allows you to show or hide the filmstrip on the left slide of a presentation. This feature lets you view the presentation as if in presentation mode, but still have access to the other windows and apps on your monitor. This feature makes Slides more Zoom-friendly since you won’t have to ‘Present’ the slides in order to remove the Filmstrip.
How can I rename my Seesaw class?
- Students will be rostered in multiple Seesaw classes (Homeroom and Essential Areas). We recommend that HOMEROOM teachers rename their class with an asterisk (*) in front of the class name in order for the class to show up first.
- Also consider adding an emoji to help students easily identify classes.
- AISD Seesaw for Schools 2021-22 includes:
- How teachers access Seesaw for Schools
- How students access Seesaw class
- How students are added to your Seesaw for Schools class
- How to access, save and assign Seesaw activities
- Seesaw has new Checks for Understand Resources!
How can I check student progress in Seesaw?
A great feature was added to Seesaw for Schools this school year — Progress Tracking! Teachers can now gain insight into student engagement by viewing activity completion. Teachers can select a range of time to see progress completion either by activity OR by student. The Progress feature is not viewable to students or families – but teachers can click on a student’s name to copy an auto-generated Progress Report to share as needed (it includes links to each activity that still needs to be completed).
Note: This “Progress” view is only available to teachers through Seesaw computer access; it does not show up through the Seesaw app.
To view Activity Completion:
On the following screen, choose activity view then click the activity to go to the details.
You may then click on a student to view their progress.
Technology Design Team Virtual Office Hours
The Technology Design Team is hosting virtual office hours to help provide real time instructional technology support. Virtual Office Hours with the Technology Design Team will happen on Monday-Thursday from 10:30 am to 1:30pm.
Please check the Global Announcement in BLEND for the Zoom link.
If you have a technical support issue (device repair or setup, access to systems, etc), please create a ServiceNow ticket to have a technician address your concern.